1. The threat of 30 has been looming over my head, but Hank Green has cheered me a bit with the concept of Logarithmic Aging. “So that you have more birthdays when you’re younger, when you like birthdays, and fewer birthdays when you’re older, when you don’t wanna think about em!” Brilliant.
2. He is, incidentally, also right about the eating less meat thing — that we need to stop dividing people into meat-eaters and vegetarians, but instead encourage people to be thoughtful about their meat eating and do it much less.
I was a vegetarian for a couple years and my cholesterol got so low that it was bad for me. Because even though we’re all “Cholesterol is bad” it turns out your body, you know, actually uses it. Too low cholesterol is associated with depression, anxiety, and higher rates of mortality! It also makes you bad at making vitamin D — and I don’t go in the sun much, so my vitamin D also got quite low. So now I eat meat occasionally and feel better and categorizing me as a terrible meat eater isn’t useful.
3. Christina Hendricks is almost always wearing a wig or a hair piece. I can’t believe I never noticed it, it’s super obvious. Beyonce as well. I feel so lied to.
4. I had this thought today: “My flowery galoshes are almost perfect, except that no one can see my dinosaur socks.” I’m a grown-up.
5. Also on hair, I’m trying to re-train my part to be further from the center, partially because I’m not entirely convinced one can train their part and the internet doesn’t have any authoritative claims on that front that I can find.
6. Photos from meeting Annie Leibovitz: https://www.facebook.com/mgafm/media_set?set=a.10100422213881817.1073741832.2605101&type=3
7. Photos from my trip to New Orleans: https://www.facebook.com/mgafm/media_set?set=a.10100422226162207.1073741833.2605101&type=3
8. Video of a real rescued baby sea turtle: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100422239111257
9. Video of koi murdering a butterfly: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100422242968527
10. Occasionally South Carolina does something amusing in a positive way.
11. I thought I’d try this whole mindful meditation stuff that Greta is doing but I feel totally incapable of teaching myself to do it and the internet seems mostly filled with hippie dippy woo crap. Thoughts on where to start?
12. Number one on this list so hard.
13. How many of the world’s 197 countries can you name in 15 minutes? I got to 120. I can place all the country names in the middle east in 1:45. BAM. I wonder if there’s a world map where you can place names instead of having to remember them off the top of your head?
14. DRUNK DIAL CONGRESS: http://drunkdialcongress.org/
15. Our prison system is just the worst.
16. Once again when a woman says “Guys, don’t do that,” atheist dudes are there to blow the whole thing up and call her irrational and oversensitive.
17. I really miss google maps Wikipedia plugin. How am I supposed to learn random stuff about Western China?
18. Rebecca wrote a wonderful article about how useless the police are when it comes to online harassment. It reminds me of my experience with Eddie Kritzer. First comment? Go to the police. I did. And they told me they wouldn’t file a restraining order unless I changed my email and phone number and he kept harassing me.
20. Me repeatedly today: