Oh, America. You lovely, headwrecking country you. You put half the planet through months of nailbiting nerves. And then you come through. I want to give you a great big smooshy kiss, like I was an overbearing aunt and you’re a somewhat bemused kid.
I just heard Housemate moving about the place. So I bounded into the living room where she was sleepily eating cereal. She looked at my impossibly wide grin and said “Oh yes, you’re off to see Girlfriend today yes?” And I said “Yes! And Obama! Marriage! Weed!” and proceeded to explain to her that this morning was the first time ever that marriage equality has won a popular vote in the US. And it won THREE at the same time as re-electing an African American president. Then she started grinning too.
Congrats, America. You ain’t perfect, and you’ve a lot of work to do. But today you did us all proud. You voted for equality. You voted for an inclusive society that values and cares for all its members. You voted for women, for POCs, for queers, for poor (and middle-class!) people. You voted for science and rational discourse and evidence over rhetoric and fearmongering. You voted for cooperation. You voted for body sovereignty. You voted for healthcare.
You went and did some awesome things today, America. Now c’mere and let me give you that great big wet smoochy kiss, why don’t ya?
By the way? THIS is how I’m feeling right now. Care to join me in a happy butt dance?
- Marriage equality passes in Maryland and Maine, ahead in Washington (dailykos.com)
- Marriage Equality Wins For The First (And Second) Time In Maine And Maryland (buzzfeed.com)
- A Potentially Historic Day for Marriage Equality and Marijuana (elections.firedoglake.com)
- Exit Poll Shows Latino Voters Go Big for Marriage Equality (advocate.com)
- President Obama Responds To Bullied 10-Year-Old With Two Dads (thinkprogress.org)
- Obama’s Reelection Signals Rise Of New America (huffingtonpost.com)