As a Planned Parenthood volunteer, I have been impressed with the communication coming out of the volunteer coordinator’s office about the recent attacks on the organization. They have sent several emails out to us with offers to provide information about the attacks and reassurance about this organization that we support with our time, money and efforts. They’re doing their due diligence even though most of us – and the mainstream media – are moving rapidly away from this embarrassingly incompetent and transparent attempt to discredit Planned Parenthood.
I would like to share a portion of one of the most recent emails addressing the maliciously edited videos released by the ineptly named Center for Medical Progress. These are talking points that they have offered up to volunteers and other supporters of Planned Parenthood to share when Uncle Faux News starts to complain to you about that durned Planned Parenthood and their durned selling of baby parts.
- Planned Parenthood is the most trusted women’s health care provider in this country. We have provided birth control, lifesaving cancer screenings, safe abortion, and other high-quality health care for 99 years. One in five women American women reports having been to Planned Parenthood for care.
- Planned Parenthood’s medical providers and staff are the best in the country. We have the highest professional standards, and we take swift action if we are ever aware of an instance where those standards aren’t being met.
- This extremist anti-abortion group has released several videos that have been shown to be heavily edited in order to completely distort what people on the tapes are actually saying.
- These videos are a fraud, intended to shock and deceive the public. For example, one video was edited to make it look like a doctor said she would “sell” fetal tissue for a profit – when in fact she said the exact opposite, 10 separate times, and nearly all instances were edited out of the tape.
- The real agenda of these attacks is totally clear– to ban abortion and limit women’s access to reproductive health care at Planned Parenthood.
- The extremists behind these attacks have close ties to Operation Rescue, a militant anti-abortion organization. An Operation Rescue leader pled guilty to charges of conspiracy to bomb an abortion clinic, for which she spent two years in prison.
- They are coordinating with some of the most extreme politicians in this country. This is part of a decades-long campaign to deceive the public, make false charges, and ultimately hurt women who need access to high-quality health care.
You know, just a few more points to add to the plethora of rebuttals from Planned Parenthood’s executives and from medical research institutions, and to the voices of reputable journalists in high profile newspapers and online media decrying the fraudulent videos, and hundreds of outraged bloggers and other editorialists.
And before I go, just a quick note of my own about these videos: They’re nothing new – not the idea of undercover “stings” of abortion clinics and not the messages. They’re gobbledygook mashups of people saying words or phrases that sound questionable to biased ears when taken completely out of context and played against an ominous soundtrack. They present no new arguments, just the same tired assertion that abortion is an industry that exists to make doctors and organizations rich. *yawn* Rebecca Watson explains it well in her Youtube video Planned Parenthood is Not Selling Baby Parts, You Fucking Idiots. Planned Parenthood provides a ton health care with only ~ 3% of that being abortions, and a very large percentage of those abortions are being done in the first trimester before organs are even a thing that can be harvested. As Rebecca says “[selling fetal tissue] is not a get rich quick scheme…that’s a terrible, terrible money making scheme.”