This is a genius list. But first, recent abortion wars news:
Every day I read about absurd pieces of legislation that are specifically written to limit access to abortion or reproductive choice. Today’s Bill-O’-Fun-and-Oppression comes out of North Carolina.
Earlier this week the NC House managed to override the state governor’s veto on a bill that would require all women who seek an abortion to undergo a a 24-hour waiting period, an ultrasound, a detailed description of the fetus and state-mandated “counseling”. Today, the NC Senate passed that bill 29-19.
This intrusive government-mandated health care now requires that every women have her ultrasound 24 hours in advance of the procedure, regardless of whether the woman is a victim of incest or rape or medical necessity, and regardless of whether she wishes to accept the state’s kind offer to waste her time with unsolicited, unnecessary medical procedures and lectures about “other options”. Book your hotel room now if you’ve traveled a distance to one of the eight cities in North Carolina that currently have abortion clinics – you’re going to be there for a few days. And so sorry if you can’t find the money for a hotel, or obtain transportation, or find childcare for several days, or take time off of work. Maybe you’d just better have that kid; in the short term it will be much easier than terminating your pregnancy. The pro-lifers in the North Carolina legislature can assure you of that.
And now on to Amanda Marcotte’s Awesome List of Awesome. Here are 10 very good points which people entrenched in the anti-choice movement ignore completely. But if you’re one of those people who have always identified as pro-life (then you’re probably not reading this blog, but just in case), but you’ve never really given the issue a lot of thought, check out Ms. Marcotte’s full article on AlterNet, in which she goes into detail about why each of the statements below is true. Or if you support reproductive rights, read her piece to brush up your knowledge on why abortion isn’t evil.
10 Things Amanda Marcotte Would Say to the Anti-Choice Fanatics Trying to End Access to Abortion
- Most abortions take place early in pregnancy.
- If not for anti-choicers, even more women would get abortions much earlier in their pregnancies.
- Doctors perform late term abortions because of medical indications, often on women who desperately wanted the baby.
- Women who get abortions aren’t afraid of being mothers.
- Abortion is physically safe.
- Abortion is mentally safe.
- Women who get abortions take responsibility for their decision.
- Abortion providers are responsible medical professionals who work to make sure their patients are healthy and avoid future unintended pregnancies.
- Women get abortions because they’re being responsible.
- Conservative policies cause the abortion rate to be higher than it needs to be.