Saturday and Sunday we had a huge yard sale, and got rid of tons of stuff that we’ve both been carrying around for a very long time. Saturday afternoon, my laptop’s power adapter decided to stop providing power to my laptop, and it’s making a weird ticking noise if you put it up to your ear, like a relay being flicked rapidly. And Sunday night, we went to take a second look at our potential house, and we officially put in a bid on it.
I’m at work right now, but without my calendar, notes, documents, to-do list and old mail (I have webmail I can work off of, but it’s certainly not the same), I’m feeling pretty hobbled. So this morning I’m taking the time to set a desktop up so that I can actually function on it, even if I don’t have all my accoutrements that I’m used to having available on my laptop. Oh well, this’ll do for now. I’ll have to get a ticket in with my laptop’s provider, as it’s still under warranty. Next day on-site warranty, as a matter of fact.
The house situation is a bit weird. Both Jodi and I get a sense of the seller being pretty off-putting. I know, we as the buyers should be driving the sale, but she seems to almost take offense at the idea that we’d be asking all sorts of questions about “her” house. Either she doesn’t particularly like that *we* are buying it (e.g. she doesn’t think a young couple would be capable of getting it), she doesn’t like someone questioning what she put down on her advertisements and verifying everything she claims about the warranties et cetera, or she is specifically hiding something about the house. All these misgivings aside, maybe it’s just her nature. Jodi’s mother apparently knows the woman, and she’s supposedly a neat freak of some sort. So it could just be a point of pride that we’re daring to question the condition of the house. Or it could also have been that we scheduled that second viewing for the day after graduation, and she had acted as a chaperone for her daughter’s safe-grad the night before, and there were half a dozen newly graduated teens crashing out in her living room.
Also, Jodi just messaged to tell me that we can’t force the other bidders’ hand on their offer, because our offer wasn’t an “official offer”, e.g. legally binding, e.g. done by lawyers or realtors, and because we don’t have a lawyer presently and the seller can’t get to talk to her lawyer until at least the end of the week. As it stands, the other offer she had on the house was conditional on the bidders having sold their house. Their bid expires July 1st (they put it in last December), and evidently the house they have to sell is in terrible condition and isn’t likely to sell any time soon. So, we can’t force their hand and give them the 48 hours to put-up-or-shut-up, so we may have to just wait until July 1st. One good thing though — apparently this conversation she just had with the seller went better than yesterday, and she was much less off-putting.
Anyway. Here’s hoping.