Earlier this week, I was rather afraid the Mayans were right. My homicidal felid was sweet and playful and wanted attention without engaging in attempted murder, and she remained this way all day. Fortunately, she returned to her ordinary self that evening, and so disaster was averted.
But there was a time when I thought the world may end in a meow with a trill in it. Why she was making this noise, I don’t know, because my cat does not normally produce trilling little meows. Makes you wonder what the end of the world does sound like.
Of course, if we got hit by some enormous space object, it might just end with a bang instead. Sorry, T.S. Eliot.
All of this end o’ the world stuff this time round has reminded me strongly of Buffy. In “Doomed,” Giles says with the proper awe and dread, “It’s the end of the world,” and everybody else exclaims, in chorus, “Again?!”
Rather hard to take it seriously when there’s been so damned many.
Classic, I’m telling you.
- Buffy: I’m telling you I’ve seen this somewhere before. I just can’t remember where! I mean, it’s like…
- Giles: It’s the end of the world.
- Buffy, Willow, Xander: Again?
- Giles: It’s, ah, the earthquake… that symbol… yes.
- Buffy: I told you. I-I said “end of the world”, and you’re like “poo-poo, southern California, poo-poo”!
- Giles: I’m so very sorry. My contrition completely dwarfs the impending apocalypse.
Right. We’ll stop there and hope WordPress doesn’t develop an obsession with Gypsy punk bands again. That was weird. Could it be a sign of the end of the world? Or just, y’know, random bizarre happenings that seem to crop up whenever a site-wide change happens. But I’m telling you, I’ve previewed, and if it reverts back to Gogol Bordello again, then we know we have a grim sign of the end times on hand, like totally. Our prophecy will of course be wrong, but that means it’ll have plenty of company!