Do you want to make all the policy? Or to put it another way, are you a public policy person with a dedication to secularism who is looking for a job?
This has been posted elsewhere, on blogs with a much larger readership. However, this is a specialized role, so the more people who see it the better.
American Atheists, Inc., a non-profit and nonpartisan educational and advocacy organization dedicated to the separation of religion and government and the equality of atheists, is seeking a qualified individual to take a leadership role in the development and implementation of its public policy activities. Responsibilities may include:
- Arranging and taking meetings with Congressional and Administration officials.
- Drafting action alerts for mass emails to American Atheists members.
- Collaborating with coalitions of national nontheistic and secular organizations to create
better outcomes for the nontheistic community in everyday life.
- Monitoring federal legislative and administrative policies.
- Monitoring state actions for bills and laws that violate the separation of religion and
- Developing policy proposals related to secularizing the tax code
- Preparing comments and other position statements.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Candidates should have at least 3 years of professional experience in public policy and legislative affairs and have a degree in law or related to public policy as well as knowledge of the Constitution, federal government, and the tax code; excellent analytic and problem solving skills; creativity and leadership; knowledge of the legislative process; ability to work independently; and excellent written and verbal skills.
Well-qualified candidates will have Capitol Hill experience and a demonstrated commitment to the nontheistic community or separation of religion and government issues.
American Atheists’ headquarters is in New Jersey; this position will be based at a satellite office in Washington, D.C.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Additional benefits include paid sick, holiday, and vacation days; health insurance and dental insurance.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample related to public policy or a public policy issue to [email protected] Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until June 3, 2013.